Recipes: Latin Kitchen Cooking Class
Cuban style Flank steak tacos
Yield: 4 Servings
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄3 cup lime juice
1⁄3 cup orange juice
1 cup EVOO
2 tsp sherry vinegar
1 1⁄2 # flank steak, excess silver skin removed
1 T parsley, minced
2 tsp butter
1 lime, quartered
1. For the marinade gently heat the olive oil on low just to get above room temperature.
2. In a medium size bowl, add the garlic, cumin, and salt.
3. Drizzle in the olive oil, and let sit for at least 10 minutes to steep into the oil. Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
4. For the flank steak, season with salt and in a baking pan, place the steak down, and proceed to pour the marinade on top. Let sit for at least 45 minutes.
5. Once steak has been fully marinated, in a large saute pan add the butter. Once hot add the steak to the pan and caramelize on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
6. Depending on the cooking temperature desired, either let rest for 10 minutes or continue cooking in a 400 degree oven until desired temperature.
7. After fully rested, sprinkle with minced parsley and lime juice.
Cilantro lime slaw
Yield: 4 servings
1 head cabbage, shredded fine
1 jicama, peeled and julienned
1 red onion, julienned
1 apple, julienned
1 bunch cilantro, minced
2 limes, zested and juiced
1. Cut all the vegetables and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the lime zest and juice.
3. Toss thoroughly and season to taste.
4. Refrigerate until needed.
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Yield: 4 servings
1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
1⁄2 cup + 1 T all purpose flour
1⁄4 cup sugar
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2⁄3 cups corn kernels
1⁄4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
1 1⁄2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
6 T butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, 1⁄2 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, add the corn, jalapenos, and the rest of the flour. Incorporate and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, add the milk and the eggs, whisk to break apart the eggs and make sure they are completely broken down. Slowly pour mixture into the cornmeal and using a rubber spatula stir to combine. Once all the liquid is added, add the corn and jalapeno mixture and combine.
5. Spray the muffin pan with cooking spray, then divide the batter into the pans filling about 3⁄4 of the way. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the muffins are a beautiful golden brown.
6. Remove from rack and let cool.
Yield: 4 servings
7 cloves garlic, finely minced
⅓ cup fresh orange juice
⅓ cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Cooked white rice for serving
For the marinade: in a medium bowl, combine garlic, ½ cup olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, cumin, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Reserve about ½ a cup of marinade to use later.
Add shrimp to marinade and toss until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet, when the oil is shimmering, add the shrimp in a single layer. Sear until the shrimp is pink on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip shrimp and cook 1 more minute.
Add the reserved marinade and bring liquid to a simmer. Simmer shrimp in marinade for 1 minute. Remove from skillet heat and stir in chopped cilantro. Serve over white rice.
Churros con Chocolate
1 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts oil for frying
1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball.
Heat oil for frying in deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar mixture.